Mint as Minta Spacata is a plant that has been long used in diverse cultures, such as India, Middle East and Europe, due to its rich aroma, soothing flavor and curative properties. Mint has a sweet flavor, with a cooling after-sensation. Both, fresh and dried mint are used in preparing a large number of recipes, including curries, soups, chutneys, salads, juices, juleps, candies and ice creams.
Its nutritional conten includes moisture – 84.9 g , protein – 4.8 g, fat – 0.6 g, minerals – 1.9 g, fibre – 2 g, carbohydrate – 5.8 g, calcium – 200 mg, phosphorus – 62 mg, iron – 15.6 mg, carotene – 1620 μg, thiamine – 0.05 mg, niacin – 1 mg, riboflavin – 0.26 mg, folic Acid (Free) – 9.7 μg, Folic Acid (Total) – 114 μg, vitamin C – 27 mg, magnesium – 60 mg, copper – 0.18 mg, manganese – 0.57 mg, zinc – 0.44 mg, chromium – 0.008 mg, oxalic Acid – 33 mg, phytin phosphorus – 4 mg and energy – 48 Kcal
Its health benefits include:
soothing the digestive tract and easing the severity of stomachaches.
Drinking herbal mint tea reduces irritated bowel syndromes, cleanses the stomach and also clear up skin disorders such as acne. Provides a cooling sensation to the skin and can help to treat minor burns, itching and skin irritations.
Mint is a strong diuretic and therefore, helps in eliminating toxins from the body.
mint reduces the growth of bacteria and fungus in the body on regular intake.
help in curing asthma and other allergic conditions.
Crushed mint leaves helps in whitening teeth and combat bad breath. .
Due to the presence of essential oil called menthol, mint finds its usage in preparing a variety of cosmetics and perfumes and as an important component of many medicines and drugs
- Mint finds extensive usage in the field of aromatherapy. Ease and unblock the breathing and respiratory passages and airways.
- Due to its antipruritic or anti-itch properties, it helps to cure insect stings and bites when added with camphor.
- The phytonutrient, called perillyl alcohol, in mint is believed to prevent colon, skin and lung cancer.
- Relieve minor aches and pains such as muscle cramps and sprains.
- Mint is a very good cleanser for the blood.